The Michigan Democratic Party issued a new television advertisement on
MDP: “It’s no secret that Dick DeVos cut jobs in Michigan and opened a factory in China, creating thousands of jobs there."
It’s never been a secret – just a lie. And constantly repeating the same bogus attacks on Dick DeVos is not going to create a single Michigan job.
· NOT ONE MICHIGAN JOB HAS BEEN OUTSOURCED TO CHINA, and the governor knows it! (Detroit News Columnist Nolan Finley, 4/2/06).
· The restructuring at Alticor and the investments to China were completely unrelated – but both were vital to protecting the thousands of Alticor jobs in Michigan. (Detroit News Columnist Nolan Finley, 4/2/06).
· NOT ONE single product that is produced in China is sold in the United States. Alticor’s China operations produce goods in China for consumers in Asian markets (Detroit News Columnist Daniel Howes, 8/21/05).
· Alticor built a plant in China because Chinese law requires it (Detroit News Editorial, 5/17/06).
· Early retirements, buyouts and worker placements were all part of Alticor’s restructuring.
· Throughout Alticor’s restructuring, NOT ONE Michigan manufacturing job was lost.
· Only $100 million was invested during Dick DeVos’ tenure while the additional investment came in 2003, the year AFTER Dick DeVos stepped down as CEO in 2002 (Grand Rapids Business Journal, 10/27/03).
· From 1995 to 2003, the same time period that Alticor invested $200 million in China, the company invested $700 million into its operations here in Michigan (Detroit News Columnist Daniel Howes, 9/8/06).
MDP: “But now we find out, after Dick DeVos and his family gave Republican leaders millions of dollars.”
Dick DeVos has contributed to various Republican campaigns and charitable causes. However, to suggest that Dick agrees with everything that is done by these groups as a result is absurd. The game works both ways. Using this logic:
· Governor Granholm signed the bill that was mentioned in this ad when the governor appeared with former President Bill Clinton last month (Detroit Free Press 8/16/06).
· Governor Granholm believes that the United States government was guilty of the domestic terrorist attacks at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996 and the Oklahoma City bombing since she scheduled an appearance with the Reverend Jesse Jackson (Jackson, Speech to the AFL-CIO, December, 2001).
· Governor Granholm believes that Americans are “possibly the dumbest people on the planet” since the governor appeared with Michael Moore earlier this year in Traverse City (New York Times Columnist David Brooks, 6/26/04).
· Governor Granholm has created millions of jobs overseas since the governor has accepted campaign contributions from several companies that have engaged in such operations (Granholm for Governor Campaign Finance Reports, 2002-2006).
· Governor Granholm has kissed Britney Spears in front of a nationally televised audience by accepting campaign contributions from legendary diva Madonna Ciccone (Granholm for Governor Campaign Finance Report, 2006).
MDP: “They slipped in a last minute 19 million dollar tax break designed just for DeVos and Amway. Some called it a middle of the night deal.”
|The citations that Granholm and the Democrats use in no way mention Dick DeVos. Nor do they prove anything, except that Democrats in Washington, at the time had as much to do with this tax cut being passed as Republicans. |
· The legislation that Granholm and the Democrats point to was signed by Democratic President Bill Clinton. Clinton appeared on the same stage as Granholm last month, where Granholm referred to him as “The most beloved man in the entire world” (Detroit Free Press, 8/16/06).
· The legislation that Granholm and the Democrats are referencing was the product of bipartisan negotiations (Wall Street Journal, 8/11/97).
· Granholm and the Democrats, through either ignorance or carelessness, have the wrong Dick DeVos. The “evidence” that is pointed out in the ad discusses contributions made to Congressional Republicans by Dick DeVos’ father, Richard DeVos. Not once does the article mention Dick DeVos (Associated Press, 10/28/98).
· The amendment that was offered to the bill by then House Speaker Newt Gingrich was “intended to save several hundred jobs in Michigan.” Should the governor really be critical of this legislation?
MDP: “Great for Dick DeVos, and what did you get? The bill.”
|As was just discussed above, what Michigan citizens “got,” was to keep several hundreds of Michigan jobs. This is much more than what can be said for Governor Granholm. On the governor’s watch, Michigan has lost several thousands of jobs, and unfortunately that’s not the full extent of the bad news. |
· Since Jennifer Granholm has been governor, Michigan has lost 96,900 jobs (Bureau of Labor Statistics).
· Since Governor Granholm introduced her “Jobs Today, Jobs Tomorrow Plan,” Michigan has lost nearly 40,000 jobs (Bureau of Labor Statistics).
· Michigan’s unemployment rate is 7.1%, this is the nation’s highest and is 50% above the national average (Bureau of Labor Statistics).
· Nearly 20% of Michigan’s children are living in poverty (Detroit Free Press, 8/30/06).
· Michigan’s median income has dropped below the national average for the first time ever (Detroit News, 8/30/06).
· In 2005 89,473 Michigan citizens filed for bankruptcy. This represented an all-time high in filings (Detroit Free Press, 9/18/05; United States Bankruptcy Court).
· From February 2004 to February 2006, the rate of home foreclosures in Michigan doubled to a rate that is 2 ½ times higher than the national average (Muskegon Chronicle, 2/27/06).
· Michigan’s foreclosure rate is now the 6th highest in the nation (Detroit News, 9/13/06).
· Including Washington DC, Michigan ranks 51st in the nation in home values (CNN Money, 12/1/05).