Friday, January 30, 2009

The Man Of Steele: Will He Deliver by Akindele Akinyemi

news-politics-20090114-POLITICS-US-USA-POLITICS-REPUBLICANS
I am happy to announce the Republican National Committee have elected its first Black Chairman in history. Former Maryland Lt. Governor Michael Steele won the RNC race beating Katon Dawson of South Carolina 91-77 votes. This is a BRIEF time to celebrate because we have work to do. The storms are coming and we need to roll up our sleeves and get our hands dirty.


While I am not happy that my good friend, Renee Amoore, dropped out of the race for Co-Chair of the RNC I am glad that she made some effort on her part to further push our agenda. We have to make sure we keep folks like Renee in the trenches so we do not lose her. We must build on our outreach efforts towards women.

Steele says he will move swiftly to temper the party's tone. However, one of Steele's more daunting mandates will to be to broaden the GOP's base of Black voters. Steele explains, "I'll tell local chairmen, 'If you want to be chairman under my leadership, don't think this is a country-club atmosphere where we sit around drinking wine and eating cheese and talking amongst ourselves. If you don't want to drill down and build coalitions in minority communities, then you have to give that seat to someone who does."


Sounds like a true urban conservative to me. For those who think urban conservatism will never work is FOOLING themselves. We are ushering in the silver rights movement through urban conservatism. History is being made and it will be a matter of time before we take our message to the streets. We want to touch everyone.

Steele have said in the past that many Blacks look at the party as this bastion of racism, which it isn't. Democrats have to keep defining us as racists because that's how they stay in power. But just look at the inner-city school systems and the poverty levels that have been high for years. It's systemic, and you can't blame Republicans for that.

I know the naysayers will say most black people will hardly care because most blacks simply do not care what Republicans do. Ninety-six percent of us voted for President Barack Obama, and more than 90 percent of African Americans self-identify as Democrats. The same 90% cannot give a concrete answer why every single urban area in Michigan looks like a war zone. That to me is a problem.

Now we have to do OUR part to help our newly elected Chairman.

Urban conservatives have to begin to diversify our platform. Instead of being stuck on social conservatism we need to discuss personable issues. Issues such as mentoring, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, the role of the church, financial/adult literacy and child poverty. These are issues that affect all of us in the inner city.

We have to learn to stop being hostile towards people who look like us. I appreciate hearing the brutal truth about abortion, gay marriage and stem cell research. What about discussions and developing policies on mass transit, breast cancer, and the housing market?

People will say how Michael Steele was elected because of President Obama. I will tell them to prove it. If the GOP wants to move forward it must diversify it's portfolio to attract people under the big tent.

People of all shades and colors will continue to reject us if we do not elevate our way of thinking. I am not just talking about quoting things from Russell Kirk, Richard Wagner or Barry Goldwater but not looking back at the grave for answers. We are playmakers and we can create a new reality for our community.

While Michael Steele is our new Chairman of the RNC look at what is going on here in Michigan. You have three strong men of conviction running for Vice-Chair positions of the Michigan Republican Party.


Derek Moss
for Michigan GOP Ethnic Vice-Chair.

Troy Rolling for Grassroots Vice Chair
Troy Rolling for Michigan GOP Grassroots Vice Chair.


Akindele Akinyemi for Michigan GOP Outreach Vice-Chair.

The Michigan GOP State Convention will be held February 20-21, 2009 in Lansing, MI. You should be supporting us because we are intelligent, articulate and have a vision for this party.

Time will tell if Michael Steele supports my vision of serious urban outreach. This is a huge factor for us of winning in areas such as Muskegon and Benton Harbor in the near future.

This is a historical time in the Republican Party. It's time to get this party started. Let's pitch in and do our part to help Michael Steele and others who are willing to give us a chance.

7 comments:

designated conservative said...

I am disappointed to hear that you have withdrawn from this important race. There is nothing that aggravates me more as a voter than to have no real choice on the ballot. Frankly, I don't understand why you and Jack Hoogendyk both withdrew - stay with it to the end, whichever way things go!

Anonymous said...

This article gives clear idea in support of the new visitors of blogging, that really
how to do blogging and site-building.
Feel free to visit my webpage : amphora pipe tobacco

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very helpful advice within this article!

It is the little changes that produce the most important
changes. Many thanks for sharing!
My blog post ... erinmore balkan mixture

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Colorado! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to check out your site on my iphone during lunch break. I love the info you present here and can't
wait to take a look when I get home. I'm surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not even
using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, awesome site!
My site : amber leaf

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article. I like to write a little comment to support you.
Feel free to surf my weblog boligityrkia.net

Anonymous said...

Article writing is also a excitement, if you be familiar with then you can write if not it
is complicated to write.
Visit my web site ... asuntoturkista.net

Anonymous said...

http://cardiffmiller.com/pubs/buyvalium/#pills long does effects 10mg valium last - valium 5mg effects